Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Short Bucket List of Sorts

In thinking of places and events that I would love to go to but likely will not get to (at least not in the forseeable future), a few big ones come to mind. If anyone is actually reading this blog (unlikely, other than my lovely wife), I'd love to hear your own bucket list of places you'd like to get to but aren't in your immediate travel plans, so feel free to comment on mine or give me your own.

1. Oktoberfest - Munich. I'm a fan of THE Oktoberfest in Munich on Facebook, I have German heritage in my family, and enjoy good German beer. While Munich is definitely in my future (I will get there), I just don't know it'll be during Oktoberfest. A liter of Spaten, some polka music, and some serious German beer hall singing. That would be nice. Maybe hosting a party at home in the true Oktoberfest style is more likely.

2. Moscow. The cold, snowy, post-communist feel of a city where Stalin, Lenin, and the Czars once ruled. Red Square on New Year's Eve...that's the real dream.

3. Great Wall of China. Generally, for whatever reason, I can't really say I'm excited to visit many parts of Asia. China, does not really appeal to me. But, to imagine a cool, sunny day, standing along a lonely stretch of the Great Wall in quiet reflection upon the slaves who died in the construction of the massive structure or upon a soldier who centuries ago may have held the same lonely post awaiting a raid from far-off Mongol warriors with a wary eye ever focused on the horizon. That would be something.

Lots of other places I want to get to, but that I think are more likely that I'll actually get there. Upcoming post: places I've been that I can cross of my bucket list.

No comments:

Post a Comment